Sunday 14 June 2015

5/6 DAYS POST-OP!

My double jaw surgery was on Tuesday June 9th, and my surgeon did my upper jaw (getting rid of my open-bite/overbite/gummy smile), he also did my lower jaw (BSSO, moving it forward to meet up with my upper jaw), and he also did septoplasty to straighten my deviated septum a little bit. He decided to not do my chin because he felt my facial harmony would be perfect without it.

Day 1 -
Was pretty OK actually, I had little pain because of the shots of morphine (but OMG it hurts going into your arm). I got to the hospital at 6am, and my surgery was at 8am. They did all the pre-op stuff and I got changed into the lovely hospital attire. Next, I was led to the OR. They had to poke me four whole time to get that IV in though. :(







When I woke up I had a tube down my left nostril which made me feel like I was going to choke to death every time I swallowed (when they finally took it out, that was also awful, because it burned), I also had my mouth wired shut and my lovely splint in. When we got to the room, I found out that I had been placed in a free private room. Yay! When they got me onto the bed, I was actually giggling because I was so happy to see my boyfriend. He got to spend the night with me on a lovely cot, we both spent the first night just sleeping and waking up continuously.


Day 2 -
A little worse than day 1 because I could feel everything a little better, I could not get comfortable and my face was way more swollen. I really feel I looked like a square. Haha. Eating and drinking was perfectly ok tho. Had them ice packs on for forever, it was the only thing that really made the swelling feel better and at ease.

This day they took me down for my post op X-rays. I was pretty happy with what I saw in my X-rays despite not relating in real-life because of swelling. We both spent the night again, but this time I slept a little more, when I woke up I just stared at the clock wishing it would be time to go home.


Day 3 -
This was the day I finally got to go homeee! As great as that was, it wasn't great. It was a four hour drive back to NB and the NB highway ... is pretty bumpy.

Day 4 -
This day was bleh, the swelling was definitely the worst today, my mother said my face looked like it was going to explode. LOL. Not much happened today, slept on the couch.


Day 5 -
This was the worst day yet I believe, the swelling went down a lot but it was my mother's birthday and I was feeling really sucky from the Dilaudid, it really makes me nauseous. On top of that, the Dilaudid really didn't help that much, so the pain was still bad and I was extremely exhausted. We spent the day with me laying down and sleeping, I wish I had felt better so she could have had a better birthday. Also my bruising is pretty bad!



Day 6 -
Today is much better! The swelling has gone down A LOT. I feel a ton better pain wise also. The only thing that is really getting to me is the tension in my jaw from the elastics being so tight. My jaw isn't used to constantly being clenched so it's hurting pretty badly. I've been trying to do relaxing exercises for my jaw all day and heat and it's still clenching with the pain. I took two hot showers today, because they make me feel so much better. I am really looking forward to the 23rd. This is my next orthodontist appointment where he will hopefully loosen these elastics. This means I will be able to eat soft foods again and also my jaw can move again!!!! (BTW lost 6.5 lbs so far ... )

Here is my before and after so far:


I have to say, I am pretty happy with the results as of yet, my profile looks a lot more feminine and also I look a lot less angry! I am really looking forward to the rest of the swelling to go down. WOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment